- All-Ireland Primate criticizes ‘draconian’ new regulations on public worship
Archbishop Eamon Martin. / Northern Ireland Executive CC BY ND 2.0. CNA Staff, Apr 19, 2021 / 07:15 am (CNA). A senior Catholic archbishop has accused the Irish government of introducing “draconian” new regulations on public worship “in a clandestine manner.”
- ASIA/IRAQ - Coronavirus pandemic: Election of the new Assyrian patriarch postponed due to new wave of infections
Erbil - The new wave of infections, which also affects Iraq and the Kurdistan Autonomous Region, has resulted in the election of the new Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East being postponed to a later date. The current Patriarch, Mar Gewargis III Sliwa, will therefore continue to exercise the patriarchal office until the health conditions in the region allow the Assyrian bishops to meet […]
- AFRICA/KENYA - After the Bishops, the Jesuits also say "No to the closure of the reception camps"
Nairobi - "JRS reaffirms the appeal from the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops and recommends that the Government of Kenya exert maximum forethought and caution in this particular time of uncertainty, wisely considering the legal obligations imposed by international law and the Organization of African Unity Convention", states the Kenyan section of the Jesuit Refugee Service , taking a stand […]
- ASIA/VIETNAM - A "year of grace" for the diocese of Nha Trang, in the footsteps of Cardinal Van Thuan
Nha Trang - He is a spiritual son and a successor of the former Bishop of the diocese of Nha Trang, Venerable Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, who greatly influenced his priestly life and his episcopal ministry: Bishop Joseph Vo Duc Minh, current ordinary bishop of the diocese of Nha Trang, celebrates his 50th anniversary of his priestly ordination and remembers that April 24, 1971, when […]
- Vatican sign language project brings Pope Francis’ words to all
ASL interpretation of Pope Francis’ Sunday Regina Coeli address on April 18, 2021. / YouTube screenshot. Vatican City, Apr 19, 2021 / 05:15 am (CNA). Pope Francis’ Wednesday and Sunday speeches to the public will now be accessible in American Sign Language
- ASIA/MYANMAR - The era of hope: the new Burmese government of national unity, in opposition to the military junta
Bangkok - "An era of fear and division ends and an era of hope begins". A time, says Salai Maung Taing San, spokesman for the newly formed "Burmese National Unity Government", in which "there will be no more religious or ethnic divisions". With these words, in an online conference, the "shadow government" was formed that opposes the military junta that took power in a coup d'etat on 1 February. […]
- AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Humanitarian situation is increasingly alarming; the Bishops "Perspectives should be given to young people to stop the war"
Maputo - It is estimated that 11,104 people who fled the city of Palma have been welcomed in a school in Quitunda. This was stated by the International Organization for Migrants .According to the IOM, 30 percent of displaced families sleep outdoors, while the remaining 70 percent live in makeshift shelters. As many as 62% of the displaced are children, 21% men and 17% women. The main need of […]
- Croatia offers scholarships to young persecuted Christians
The Croatian flag flying in Dubrovnik, southern Croatia. / Christine Zenino via Wikimedia (CC BY 2.0). CNA Staff, Apr 19, 2021 / 04:00 am (CNA). The Croatian government is offering college scholarships to young Christians at risk of persecution
- AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Archbishop of Asunción appeals to pharmaceutical companies: "It is not the time to make money at the expense of the sick"
Asunción - "This is not the time for speculation in order to earn money at the expense of the sick", said Archbishop Edmundo Valenzuela of Asunción in an interview with a local newspaper about the difficult situation in the country. The Archbishop addresses all Covid-19 patients with a message of hope and urges relatives not to lose faith in God. In the interview published yesterday with the […]
- AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Special Day of prayer for the situation of the pandemic
San José - Next Thursday, April 22, the bishops of Costa Rica invite its faithful to pray in order to overcome the coronavirus pandemic. During the Holy Mass and the Hours of Adoration, Catholics of the country should pray for this purpose on that day. This was announced by the Bishops' Conference of Costa Rica in a joint appeal by all bishops.The Bishops want to express their solidarity with […]