Protestant missionaries came back to Africa with the repatriated slaves with the aim of giving them support and helping them to find their feet. In Sierra Leone, they were absorbed into the Anglican Church and the American missionaries from different denominations integrated them into their Churches in Liberia.
In 1837, the Society for the Colonisation of Maryland in Liberia set itself up at Cape Palmas on the West coast of Africa. A settlement of 500 Americans, including 18 Catholics was set up in Harper. The repatriated slaves also set up a number of villages for themselves. Rome received a request for Catholic priests to be sent to Liberia and in 1842, a missionary team of two priests and a lay man arrived: Mgr. Edward Barron, the Vicar General of Philadelphia, John Kelly, a priest from New York, and Denis Pindar from Baltimore.
Mgr. Barron set up his mission between Harper and the new villages. In response to a request from Barron to Francis Libermann, the first missionaries of the Holy Heart of Mary arrived at Gorée on October 10, 1843. Their Society had only just been founded.